Re: Posix and Single Unix -- atime and mtime changes

Trever Adams (highlander@teleteam.net)
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 00:13:45 -0600

Alan Cox wrote:

> > void markinterest( void ) {
> > int f;
> >
> > if ( !justaftergroup )
> > return;
> > sprintf( s, "%s/interesting.groups/%s", spooldir, group->name );
> > if ( (f=open( s, O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_APPEND, 0644)) >= 0 )
> > close(f);
> > justaftergroup = FALSE;
> > }
> >
> > Maybe it is the O_APPEND ?
>
> That sounds like a bug, unless the file system has been mounted "noatime"
> in which case then yes the atime wont be updated.
>
> Alan

Well, I know for a fact that my file system is not mounted noatime (I
like the concept of knowing when a file was last touched). Our mail
server is also the same box as our news server. Both use the same
partition for data. We therefore, I know, have mounted it just plain
and simple with none of the atime hacks. I don't know what Cornelius
was using, but this server is currently 2.0.35 (we will be seeing if
2.0.36 is stable and fast enough for us soon).

Trever Adams

P.S. Cornelius, I guess it was a bug in Linux unless you can find
otherwise.