Re: __bzero errors and replacement

Michael K Vance (mkv102@psu.edu)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 23:12:13 -0500

Jeff Knox wrote:

> the menu xconfig, and build.c. I got the kernel to compile by doing make
> menuconfig, and then i modified build.c. I put a #define __bzero(a,n)
> (void)memset(a,b,1) at the top of the file, and got build.c to work, to

Hmm... for a clean 2.1.131:

[mvance@localhost mvance]$ grep -n -A2 -B1 "bzero"
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
/tools/build.c
[mvance@localhost mvance]$ grep -n -A2 -B1 "memset"
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boo
t/tools/build.c
153- fprintf(stderr, "Setup is %d bytes.\n", i);
154: memset(buf, 0, sizeof(buf));
155- while (i < setup_sectors * 512) {
156- c = setup_sectors * 512 - i;

A simple 'find /usr/src/linux/ -type f | xargs grep -n "__bzero"' does turn up
lots of interesting things, though, mostly in asm-sparc and asm-sparc64. I
have no knowledge of these matters, though, or their implications.

m.

--
"Up above aliens hover making home movies for the folks back home, of all
these weird creatures who lock up their spirits, drill holes in themselves