Re: floppy/cd eject on unmount behavior

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 16:58:25 +0100 (MET)

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Followup to: <Pine.LNX.3.96.981210122850.438A-100000@zaphod.cgmlarson.com>
> By author: "Pat St. Jean" <psj@cgmlarson.com>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > Hey folks,
> > Why not do it in reverse? I'm reasonably sure that CD-ROM drives will
> > lock the tray. Why not, when that is available, lock it on mount, and do
> > an unlock + eject on umount?
> > I know it isn't an ideal solution, but it works with hardware that
> > exists...
> >

> We do lock on mount. Most people don't want to have the tray
> auto-ejected on umount (it was a common complaint with some early Linux
> CD-ROM drivers), so we don't.

I'd say that the eject on umount should be done if and only if the
user pressed the button while the disk was mounted.

But then again, I'm not familiar with the hardware and I heard that
they are cheap and don't provide to the software all that we'd like
to know.

Roger.

*   Never blow in a cat's ear because if you do, usually after three or  *
*   four times, they will bite your lips!  And they don't let go for at  *
*   least a minute. -- Lisa Coburn, age 9