Re: Scrolling text

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 09:29:37 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Android wrote:

>What is the most direct method to scroll text in a given region of a
>console window? For example, if the console size is 50 rows by 80 columns,
>and I only want to scroll the text in the region (18,23) by (32,45) how
>would this be done? Is there a syscall I could use? I don't want to
>have to compile in curses, which I don't have a clue on how to use anyway.
>I would like to be able to access video text memory directly
>(at 0x000B8000) but I don't think that is possible. Any suggestions?
>And please, give examples! Thanks!

Open /dev/vcs or /dev/vcsa and manipulate them. They are
basically direct access to video memory more or less. VCSA is
exactly like video memory in DOS char+attr, whereas VCS is just
the chars without attributes.

Keep in mind that this kind of manipulation renders your program
useless over telnet/xterm/etc... Your program will ONLY work
directly on the local Linux console, which is what these devices
are for - direct console access. gpm uses /dev/vcs to copy text
from when you cut and paste.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net