Re: BUG in rmdir changes (was: Strange umount problem under Linux

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 02:32:39 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, H.J. Lu wrote:

> > > Due to the umount bug, I have switched back to 2.1.130.
> >
> > It is real bugs. Alexander Viro sent me a big patch to fix a lot of these
> > problems and it'll be in ac9
> >

> At least, his suggestion to do_rmdir in name.c doesn't solve my floppy
> umount problem.

OK, couple of questions:
a) does it happen with filesystems _not_ on floppy (e.g.
loopback)?
b) does it happen with, say it, minixfs?
c) *what* happens? (strace would be great ;-)
Just some datapoints to narrow the stuff down... All I can tell right now
is that either you are hitting dentry leaks or you are leaving stale mmaps
(equivalent) or something confuses the hell of fd driver (unlikely).

Sometime ago I began to kruft up something that I called vfsck.
It's still damn rough, but it might be useful. If you could run it and
email me results (pretty much a dump of dcache and supers) I would
probably be able to narrow it down to the name of the sucker. I can email
you the source, it's <10K. If you could trigger the problem, go
single-user and run the thing on a silent system...
If you think that it's worth your time - tell me and I'll send the
source.
HTH,
Al

--
There are no "civil aviation for dummies" books out there and most of
you would probably be scared and spend a lot of your time looking up