Re: atomicity

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
11 Dec 1998 02:21:28 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.514651EC9177D111ABE700805F0D75DC12D9F8@eemeli.setec.fi>,
Myreen Johan <Johan.Myreen@setec.fi> wrote:
>> Except that ext2fs is not the only filesystem in the woods. If the
>> user is running on a vfat or msdos filesystem, they might want to
>> have a defragger running periodically to sweep things up.
>
>There are several available, plus the one bundled
>with Windows 9x.

All of which have the tiny disadvantage that to run them,
you need to have Wine + X running; if you're going to
have an atomic execution area, it strikes me as foolhardy
at best to wrap such a lock around X Windows.

>Not running DOS or Windows? Then there's no point in
>using the MSDOS or VFAT file systems.

How lucky for you; I'm between contracts, and if you wish to
direct me to write code in any particular way all you need to do is
pay US$80/hour (+travel, overtime, and Company policy has a minimum
billing period of 40 hours) to my corporate masters at Pell, Inc.

If, on the other hand, you aren't taking this opportunity to throw
money at me but are instead engaging in the traditional Unix
magic-decoder-ring style of cliquishness, sorry, I have no interest
in playing.

____
david parsons \bi/ Ce n'est pas bizarre. Visitez le volcan, si vous plait.
\/