Re: [2.1.131] unrecovered disk space after deletion

Brian Gerst (bgerst@quark.vpplus.com)
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:00:43 -0500

Chng Tiak-Jung wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed 2.1.131 recently on a P166 and discovered that the
> disk space were not recovered after deletion. I have to shutdown the
> system and do a e2fsck and scandisk on Win95 to recover my lost disk
> space.

Some process had the file still open. When you remove a file, you just
unlink its directory entry. When the usage count of the inode falls to
zero, then the file is truly deleted. The usage count includes the
number of directory [hard] links, _and_ the number of times the file is
opened. Once that process closes the file, the space is reclaimed.

--

Brian Gerst