Re: kerneld Docu

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 18:28:59 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Johnny Tevessen wrote:

> As of 2.1.90-pre1, kerneld has been replaced by a kernel thread,
>kmod. See Documentation/kmod.txt for more information. The main
>user-level change this requires is modification to your init scripts to
>check for the absence of /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe before starting
>kerneld.
>
>Wouldn't it be nice to have an example of how to check for that file
>in the documentation? kmod.txt doesn't mention it (as of 2.1.129),
>and me as an advantage Linux but not bash script user does not know
>how to change the start of kerneld in my scripts.
>
>I know, this is a userspace issue, and somebody *might* use a different
>shell. But an example for checking whether kerneld should be started
>would be nice in the docs, I think.

if [ ! -e "/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe" ] ; then
insert code to start kerneld here
fi

I dunno if this will work as wished or not, but a simple perusal
of the "test" manpage will explain the logic. My intention is to
check for the existance of the file, and if it is NOT found, to
execute kerneld. This is untested, but should give you something
to play with.

BTW, I believe the RedHat 5.2 startup scripts allready do such a
check for you, so you might also want to check out the
initscripts package from 5.2...

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net