Re: [OFFTOPIC] Y2k compliance

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
8 Dec 1998 10:47:53 GMT

Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.04.9812071504330.15609-100000@isaac.taelgar.org>
By author: Mike Sackton <mike@taelgar.org>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Alex Buell wrote:
>
> >Yes, if my memory serves me right (I'm too old I guess - shh, don't tell
> >Highlander about me), they dropped quite a few days, with the result that
> >6th (not sure) to the 13th were entirely lost, and so at midnight on the
> >6th (not sure), they jumped forward to the 14th of September.
>

> [108] isaac:~ % cal 9 1752
>
> September 1752
> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
> 1 2 14 15 16
> 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
> 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
>

> *grin*
>
> Except cal also shows Feb 29, 1000 as existing

Of course it did, since "cal" shows Julian calendar dates before
1752-09-14. On the Julian calendar 1000-02-29 very much did exist.
On the Gregorian, no(*).

-hpa

(*) Note that the fact that the Gregorian calendar wasn't invented
then doesn't make it invalid; it just means the people of that
time wouldn't have used it. Note that most localities using the
Gregorian calendar today weren't using the Julian calendar back
then, either.

After all, I doubt Senator Cato thought of the year Carthage was
destroyed as "444 B.C." :)

--
    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD  1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key