Re: /dev/temperature

phil@Stimpy.netroedge.com
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 22:43:55 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Roman Drahtmueller wrote:

> > By the way, does anybody know a driver (or tech info) for the ACOPS98
> > system in use on the Gigabyte mainboards? It is not compatible with
> > the lm75/78 (as stated on http://www.giga-byte.com/RACOPS2.html)...
> > Unfortunatley the word 'patented' appears on said page: this might
> > mean 'NDA' in advertising language :-(
>
> I'm using http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/ on a Gigabyte GA-6BXE P-II
> mainboard. -12V value is somewhat weird, though, but I get the fan and
> temperature info, which is what I want.

The lm_sensors project doesn't support standards or mainboards, we support
actual chips. Try the package and if it doesn't work tell us what chip it
is that your mainboard uses for 'sensing' and we will try to support it.
Most hardware (chip) manufacturers are very willing to get the docs out to
developers like us so their hardware will be supported. Don't let
buzzwords from mainboard or computer makers throw you off. ;')

Some of the info on the Gigabyte ACOPS webpage (stated above) is bogus and
misleading. I think this setup may use something like the Winbond W83781
in a slightly non-standard arrangement (e.g., connecting the CMOS battery
to the -12V and/or -5V inputs, etc.). Could someone look on the mainboard
to see what chip(s) is used?

Phil & The LM_Sensors Development Group
http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78