Re: Y2k compliance

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 22:56:26 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Colin Plumb wrote:

> Anyway, both articles have interesting information if you're really
> serious about it. Of course, the Papal Bull was adopted in various
> countries by specific bits of legislation. England, for example,
> adopted it in 1752, leading to a funny-looking September as they had
> to make up for the calendar skew that had accumulated in the meantime.

Yes, if my memory serves me right (I'm too old I guess - shh, don't tell
Highlander about me), they dropped quite a few days, with the result that
6th (not sure) to the 13th were entirely lost, and so at midnight on the
6th (not sure), they jumped forward to the 14th of September.

Many uneducated people were terrified at the prospect of doing something
like that and genuinely feared the end of the world as they knew it.
Sounds familiar, guys?

We will _have_ to drop another day by the year 3500 though to take into
account the Earth's substantially fantastically slow spin-down (Yes,
thanks for the "re-education" I received)

Cheers,
Alex

--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
 > ^ <  Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - *new* - rewritten for text browser users!

Linux tahallah 2.1.131 #66 SMP Sat Dec 5 19:22:40 EST 1998 Two Intel Pentium Pro 166MHz processors, 331.78 total bogomips, 48M RAM System library 2.0.105