Re: 960MB limitation for 2.2 ?

Michael Talbot-Wilson (mtw@calypso.view.net.au)
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 15:05:25 +1030 (CST)

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

> Both programs requiring 3GB of address space and programs requiring 2GB
> of physical RAM are rare, but both types sometimes occur in real world

A program that handles images of documents obtained on a flat-bed
scanner at high resolution (to allow magnification of detail) and
allows the user to flip through stacks of such images could
(depending on the number of documents stacked) ask for more than
the CPU's address space. I'm thinking of 1200x1200 dpi, 8-bit
grayscale scans of A4 documents, and an application which could
conceivably want 100 documents stacked and typically wants close to
10.

Admittedly I haven't confirmed that when the image is on the screen
at 100 dpi the entire image file is logically in RAM at 1200 dpi.
Nor counted the X11 and Tcl/Tk overhead.

And I guess that, as you say, such programs are rare.

--
Michael Talbot-Wilson ------------------- mtw@calypso.view.net.au
"Many good morrows to my noble lord!" - Catesby greeting Hastings