Re: Internationalizing Linux

David Feuer (feuer@his.com)
Sat, 05 Dec 1998 14:58:29 -0500

"Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" wrote:

> In message <19981205000201.K17765@pinguin.conetix.de>,
> jens@pinguin.conetix.de
> writes:
> +-----
> | > Oh and everybody should have a 2000 page translation table on paper?
> |
> | Come on. You know these "SYS3175: Das Program hat eine illegale Instruktion
> | ausgeführt und wird deshalb beendet." messages, ANY IBM programmer will be
> | able to backtrack the message by using the SYS number.
> +--->8
>
> Relatively poor example; as in Linux, that is printed by the "shell"
> (PMSHELL.EXE in this case) in user mode and is therefore subject to
> translation, just as bash can choose to internationalize the equivalent
> Linux message ("Segmentation violation"). It's the stuff recorded by klogd
> that is the problem.
>

> | What do you need a 2000 page translation table for then?
> +--->8
>
> Have you ever seen what an OS/2 error message during the early boot stages
> looks like? ("OS/2 !! 01425" or similar. Linux's messages are rarely so
> obtuse, thankfully.) I could kill whatever twat at IBM thought we didn't
> need a translation table on paper....
>
> --
> brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
> system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu
> carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering KF8NH
> Kiss my bits, Billy-boy.

I don't see why there is a problem for logging at all: just store numerics with
checksums in the log. For printing out major kernel errors, etc, I would
personally recommend a module for each language desired. Plug in English, you
see English. Plug in Spanish, you see Spanish. Plug in Chinese and the computer
crashes. What's wrong with dat?

--

______________________________ / David Feuer \ | dfeuer@binx.mbhs.edu | | feuer@his.com | \ david@feuer.his.com / -----------------------------