Re: Dead Machine & 2.1.131

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 16:30:01 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Michael K Vance wrote:

> And to keep following up on my own posts before I see any reponses
> =), it was MOST certainly xfstt killing my machine. First it would
> cause random X lockups after usage, then it would kill my machine
> when xdm tried to startup my session. Removing the xfstt related
> lines from .xsession/.xinitrc solved the problem totally.
>
> It was still quite nasty... I'm disappointed that a user-space
> program interacting closely with X was able to bring my machine
> down.

What exactly is xfstt and what is it doing to your machine?

If we get this info out maybe it'll ring a bell with some folks
who don't know X really well but do know the kernel.

OTOH, if xfstt runs as root and directly accesses I/O ports,
then there isn't much we can do... (a usermode device driver
can generally be considered a Bad Thing, what about MatroxFB
with XF86_fbcon?).

cheers,

Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits -- MORE