Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: linux kernel hackers discover new theory of

Riccardo Facchetti (fizban@tin.it)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 14:05:05 +0100 (MET)

On 3 Dec 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > Babylon 5 is closer to the reality of physics - the spinning station
> > creates artificial gravity, but only for people standing on the
> > inside walls of the cylinder. Those who are near of rotation axis
> > are in zero-gravity. This is not gravity guys, it's centrifugal
> > force, the same that pushes you against your car's window when you
> > take a sharp turn. --
>
> Actually, it *is* gravity. Read up on general relativity if you don't
> believe me.

No way Peter, you are wrong. It is _not_ gravity.

You define gravity force as the force that follow the rule F=K*m1*m2/r^2.
Enlighten me showing how centripetal forces follow that rule (mainly how
you can accomodate the [m1*m2] term) !
I don't remember general relativity enougth, but I'm sure that centripetal
forces are _not_ comparable to gravity forces.
Yes ... they can be used to simulate gravity forces, the same way you can
use the acceleration of a car to simulate gravity force directed
horizontally: acceleration ... this is the key ... gravity is a force that
have a constant acceleration of 9.81 m/s^2 without motion between two
bodies while centripetal forces need motion !

Ciao,
Riccardo.