Re: SWAP: Linux far behind Solaris or I missed something (fwd)

Neil Conway (nconway.list@ukaea.org.uk)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 10:41:15 +0000

Rik van Riel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think we really should be working on this -- anybody
> got a suggestion?
>
> (although the 2.1.130+my patch seems to work very well
> with extremely high swap throughput)

Since the poster didn't say otherwise, perhaps this test was performed
with buffermem/pagecache.min_percent set to their default values, which
IIRC add up to 13% of physical RAM (in fact that's PHYSICAL ram, not 13%
of available RAM). So take a 1024MB machine, with (say) roughly 16MB
used by the kernel and kernel-data. Then subtract 0.13*1024 (133MB !!)
and you're left with a paltry 875MB or so. (This assumes that the
poster had modified his kernel to handle the full 1024MB btw).

So in fact the cache/buffers probably weren't quite filled to their min.
values or swapping and poor performance would have set in even earlier
than they did (910MB).

It's worth taking note I suppose that Solaris *doesn't* have this
problem. It's probably not worth a kernel patch to fix the Linux
behaviour though; I just reset the values to more sane ones in rc.local.

Now let's see if Linux does any better with say 2% for each of the min
values...

Neil
PS: to Jean-Michel: in case you don't know what I mean (though I assume
you do), look at /proc/sys/vm/pagecache and buffermem, and
Documentation/sysctl/
PPS: I presume that the initial sluggishness of Solaris was due to it
throwing away some cache?