Re: NTFS partitions show up as OS/2 partitions.

Matthew D. Pitts (mpitts@suite224.net)
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 21:16:15 -0500

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote,
> In message <8E5810A00805D211B57900609419B98525D6BD@dkdifs02.dif.dk>,
Jesper
> Juh
> l writes:
> +-----
> | I recently tore down a Windows NT 4.0 server that used NTFS on two
> | partitions. When I ran (Linux) fdisk, I noticed that both partitions
> | showed up as OS/2 HPFS partitions. The machine has never had OS/2
> | installed on it!
> +--->8
>
> Microsoft reused the OS/2 IFS (not "HPFS"; *all* OS/2 installable
> filesystems must use the same partition ID, ignoring dirty tricks such as

> ext2flt.sys) for NTFS. Probably for the same reason that OS/2 does;
despite
> the hype, the innards of NT are still recognizeably based on OS/2 2.0.

Actually, since OS/2 was originally a joint venture, HPFS and NTFS share
the same core functions. Microsoft just added code to support data
logging/access control.

Matthew D. Pitts
mpitts@suite224.net