Re: 2.1.130 under heavy swapping, revisited

Mike Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 20:07:17 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Henrik Olsen wrote:

> My conclusion is that 2.1.130 still has some problems under really extreme
> load, on the other hand, putting the machine under a load that makes it
> solve the complete set of problems in about 100 times what it would take
> if done serially (make -j 2 modules is over in a few minutes) could be
> seen as too silly to bother fixing.

Good point. At anything reasonable, I'm seeing VERY nice performance.

Try bumping NR_TASKS if you have lots of things configured as modules
(and use 2.1.131pre-3.. fixes vm tuning).. you should be pleasently
suprised. I can do make -j from hell and get very nice performance
until I run out of bandwidth. (easy to get rediculous.. I ran my box
to slightly over 300 loadav w. 1100+ tasks looking for fs corruption :)

-Mike