Re: IDE -> ATA DISK

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 00:05:27 +0100

On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 01:05:32AM +0100, Johnny Teveßen wrote:
> Something similar happened to me some weeks ago. I just forgot to
> change the setting to be non-modular, and it didn't boot. Wouldn't it be
> possible
> to have a "Default device to boot from" entry in {,menu,x}config to
> enter a value and have the config stuff check for the appropriate
> drivers to be compiled into the kernel?

There's no easy and failsafe way to check something like that (consider
compiling a kernel on a machine for another one).
Don't try to make the kernel's Makefiles pretend to be more clever than they
are. You are root, if you compile the kernel, so you know what you are doing,
right?
(And this is typical for Un*x like systems: Have tools that do basic things
without trying to be too intelligent. So you can predict what they will do
and it's up to you to combine them in the right way to solve your problem.)

--
Kurt Garloff <K.Garloff@ping.de>  (Dortmund, FRG)
PGP key on http://student.physik.uni-dortmund.de/homepages/garloff