Re: Increase number of tasks

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 17:00:49 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Jean-Michel VANSTEENE wrote:

> I'm very interested in configuring a 4-way computer
> so as to support up to 10K tasks (not fully active
> of course, but that's the goal) in 1GB memory.
>
> Some people answered, telling about scheduling problems,
> but that's not my problem for now, since lots of tasks
> are idle (because of few network traffic).

Hmm, could you try my scheduler bigpatch and see if
that helps obscenely loaded machines? It could actually
help since the CPU spent on the standard scheduler is
dependant on NR_TASKS and the CPU spent in my scheduler
is dependant only on nr_running and the amount of migration
to/from the runqueue.

As for other scheduling problems, I am willing to help
you out with all of them. I am currently drooling over
the high-end abilities of DU and IRIX and have devised
ways of implementing them in Linux. All I lack is a
testbed :) <hint hint>

> It seems that a patch exist. Could you help me to find it
> or maybe someone can send me the patch or point to a site.

I believe there is a patch on www.linuxhq.com. It is
hopelessly out of date but the author will most likely
be able to help you out a bit.

regards,

Rik -- now completely used to dvorak kbd layout...