Re: divide by zero in serial port driver

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:23:50 -0500

From: "Khimenko Victor" <khim@sch57.msk.ru>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 20:26:03 +0300 (MSK)

29-Nov-98 17:44 you wrote:
> When I was trying to configure serial port using setserial, I got
> divide-by-zero kernel error. I can't reproduce it and I don't know where
> it happened - modules are loaded each time in different order as I use
> devices :-(

If you could not reproduce it this could not be fixed. Useless bug report.

Just becase it's not reproduceable doesn't by itself make it useless; if
I get a pattern of irreproduceable bug reports, that can be quite useful
indeed in spotting a problem.

However, what does make this bug report.... less than helpful.... is
lack of any information which should have been easily available --- from
as basic information as "which kernel version", to slightly more
difficult questions, such as what were the arguments to the setserial
programs, but still ones which should be answerable by the person
submitting the bug report.

- Ted