Re: NTP dumps Linux, film at 11. [Fwd/FYI]

Kris Karas (ktk@ktk.bidmc.harvard.edu)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:41:33 -0500

Linus writes:

> This is nothing new. I suspect the problem is that the NTP people
> themselves use BSD,

I believe they're mostly a solaris shop, as evidenced by things in the code
that at one time broke if you were *not* using solaris-2.6. Their code uses
autoconf now.

> And the problem has led to me sometimes getting conflicting patches for
> the kernel side, which in turn hasn't really helped

I can vouch for Ulrich Windl, with whom I have had many discussions, and who
has submitted patches to you before. He uses Linux himself, developed the
Linux PPS driver, and is generally a knowledgeable advocate. He is also
cautious, and prefers his code to be blessed by the "authoritative"
maintainers of NTP prior to submitting.

> What we need is simply some Linux person who knows and cares about NTP

H.J. has volunteered to maintain the glibc interface. And I'm more than
happy to test kernel patches (I use libc5 unfortunately) prior to inclusion.
Write me off-line if you ever need an independent test of some NTP patch
submitted to you for inclusion.

Kris

--
Kristofer Karas                           *      kXtXk@bigfoot.com (delete X's)
AMA/CCS DoD RF900RR HawkGT !car           *    Senior systems engineer/SysAdmin