RE: Possible bug in wait4(), 2.1.126-129 ?

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 06:52:35 -0500 (EST)

Hi Tris,

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Greaves Tristan TM wrote:

> Reproduced here (Intel 486/RH 5.1/Linux 2.0.35), using your original perl
^^^^^^

2.0.35???? Are you sure? I think I'm going crazy...

What versions of cron, ld-linux.so.2 and glibc do you have?

Just for the peace of my mind, can you try running the C program I posted
earlier and see if you get the same result? If you didn't get it from the
list yet, just let me know and I'll mail it to you privately.

> I'm actually running a lot of perl scripts here which use "backtick" command
> calling, called from cron. However, I never check the exit code, instead
> relying on the output the program gives (which is suitable in these cases).

Well, I have some legacy perl scripts which run on multiple systems
(various versions of Solaris, Red Hat Linux 4.2 and 5.1, on Intel, SPARC
and UltraSPARC boxes). The only systems which fail the test are the RH51
ones, all of which run a >= 2.1.126 kernel, so I can't really tell if 2.0
is ok on them. While it would be easy for me to change the "backtick"
commands into system() commands, it shouldn't be necessary. Besides, I
really want to clear up this potential Linux problem.

Does anybody know what distribution Linus has on his own box, btw?

Thanks a lot,
Ion

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.