Re: kerneli blowfish/twofish compromised?

Alexander Kjeldaas (astor@guardian.no)
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:13:59 +0100

[ removed linus from the discussion ]

On Sun, Nov 22, 1998 at 08:18:58PM -0600, kernel@mallory.draper.net wrote:
> Hi Ingo and Astor,
>
> On Sun, Nov 22, 1998 at 08:42:15PM +0000, rohloff@informatik.tu-muenchen.de wrote:
>
> > PS: By The Way, who is the maintainer of the loop-device at the
> > moment ? (Is there anyone ?)
>
> At any rate, I have developed a patch that applies on top of the
> International Kernel Patch (patch-int-2.1.129-3) and makes the following
> changes:

I don't think you should send your patches to me - I won't accept
them. However, what you can do (if you bother to do so) is to go
through your patch and describe the changes you've done. Send the
description to me. I can take your description and reimplement your
patch. This should probably work for your patch since it seems that
the changes are pretty small.

> Adding Linux CBC with unique IVs by block support to the RC6, DFC and
> MARS code also looks like fun. IS anyone in the USA or Canada interested in
> such things? If so I will do it...

What I'd like to do with the loop-devices is to get a general
loop-device implemented that will just query the crypto api for a
cipher and use that instead of being hardwired to a specific cipher.

When that's done, we can put some nifty things into the crypto api.
For example, we can do superencryption by passing something like
"mars/cbc->rc6/cbc->serpent" as the crypto-algorithm to the general
loop device. The string is supposed to mean to first encrypt using
mars/cbc, then using rc6/cbc, and then using plain serpent.

astor

--
 Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
 http://www.guardian.no/