Re: tulip driver problem

Oren Laadan (orenl@cs.huji.ac.il)
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 20:14:54 +0200 (IST)

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Jim Bauer wrote:

> I mentioned this before in l-k in conjunction with a UP-flu report,
> but I suspect it got lost in the noise. I may have discovered
> a bug in the tulip driver in at least 2.1.127 - 2.1.129.
> Under somewhat heavy load, the driver will either stop trasnmitting
> or stop recieving. This is apparently similar to a previously
> reported problems with the eepro drivers.
>
> I can easily recreate the problem by running...
>
> find /usr -type f -exec wc {} \;
>
> while ping flooding the system. I have not tried this on kernel
> version earlier then 2.1.127..

This is similar to what I've reported a while ago - the card apparently
stops receiving packets (or corrupts the packets during receipt). I
didn't ntic any problem with packets going out.

> Boot messages, tulip driver is *not* a module.

Dito.

[SNIP]

> If receive stops working, but transmit is still ok, I get no error messages.

I had to reboot the machine, as I had no keyboard attached and I coudln't
login... but after that I checked the logs and saw the message:

"eth0: Too much work at interrupt, csr5=0xfc230040"

[ see my message from Nov 14 ]

Oren.
MOSIX Development Group ) ) ) ) ) ( ' ) \ / Oren Laadan \
The Hebrew University / / / / / \ / / orenl@cs.huji.ac.il \

http://www.mosix.cs.huji.ac.il