RAID0 broken [was: Solid lockups on 2.1.127-129]

Mark Lord (mlord@pobox.com)
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 18:45:12 +0000

RAID0 appears to be badly broken now.
If you run ksymoops on the trace you got,
you'll likely see it trapping inside raid0_map(),
with a non-NULL pointer.

Looks to me like a race condition somewhere is unmapping
a page before raid0 is finished with it.

Also, what you *don't* see, is that writes to raid0 drives
may be silently corrupted. Not too frequent, but happens
enough to ruin some every now and then.

To reproduce the Ooops, just create a dual-drive RAID0
(I used cfdisk to create 128MB partitions), and then do:

mke2fs /dev/md0
mkdir /u
mount /dev/md0 /u
cp /dev/zero /u
od -x /u/zero <-- dies with Ooops.

I have seen a report of this RAID0 Ooops on an all-SCSI system,
and on my own SCSI-free system, so it's probably not a disk-driver bug.

Interestingly, RAID0 had *never* worked reliably for me, until about
three months ago in the 2.1.xxx stream. Now it's back to the old ways..

-ml

mlord@pobox.com