Re: 2.0.36 something eating DMA buffers (sound?)

Mark Gray (markgray@iago.nac.net)
21 Nov 1998 10:21:39 -0500

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:

> > Also, my laptop is giving the same error with sound (I don't
> > have a floppy in it at the moment, but the sound is the ESS
> > driver), it's 2.0.36pre17.

Ditto for SB16 and 2.0.36 official.

> Thats the Linux memory subsystem being unable to hack ISA DMA memory very
> well. Old as the hills and still afaik unfixable for 2.0. Load sound./floppy
> as non modules

ISA pnp Sound Blaster 16 will not work unless you load it as a module
after isapnp has done its stuff.

> As and when someone fixes the mm I'll fix the drivers 8)

It seems to me that it should be fixable with a simple kludge --- hold
back 1Meg of ISA DMA memory and do not allocate it for any other
purpose --- DMA memory should be returned quite quickly after use it
seems to me, otherwise the device should not be bothering with DMA in
the first place. There is something flaky about running out of DMA
memory in the first place, so having little better to do today without
my sound working, I guess I will look more closely into the problem.