Re: Intel microcode fixes [OFF-TOPIC]

Mark H. Wood (mwood@IUPUI.Edu)
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 07:56:17 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> That's by far not the first microcode programmable CPU. TI (?) was offering
> model in the late 80's, VAX were loading their microcode since eternities
> from ROMs to SRAMs during the reset phase. I even have a hardcopy of the
> source code of the Perkin-Elmer 7/32's CPU still on my bookshelf. At that

Oh, it's older than that. Later PDP10s (KLs at least) were microcoded.
I remember loading the uC update floppies onto the FE's filesystem.
The first "VAX" was really a PDP11/60 with exotic microcode, I'm told.
(They pulled the same trick later on a VAX 8800 when building the Alpha.)
Many of the IBM S/360 models were microcoded.

Innovation is only valuable if it improves one's life; otherwise it's
just one more silly change to cope with.