[Fwd: 2.1.129 ? MatroxFB ? Display Corruption]

menion (menion@mindless.com)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:38:53 +0000

--------------84A077F8D9ADA989693D7231

--------------84A077F8D9ADA989693D7231

From: "Petr Vandrovec Ing. VTEI" <VANDROVE@vc.cvut.cz>
To: menion <menion@mindless.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 19:21:22 MET-1
Subject: Re: 2.1.129 ? MatroxFB ? Display Corruption

> I have 8,16,24, & 32 packed pixel depths compiled in, and I just thought
> that I woudl test it. I have not exactly figured out what does it, but
> _often_ when I switch VT's, It will present me with skewed chars all
^^^^^^^ only when, I hope.
> over the place, and occasionally something from another vt that is
> currently displayed. Usually it appears that we are looking at a
> virtual screen wider than 80x25, I am looking at a picture of the
> center, and getting little peices of several vt's. i.e. 160x50, and I
> am looking at the 80x25 image in the center. I hit 'enter' 2 or 3 times
> and it clears right up. I can send you .config or any other info
> needed.
You too, Brutus? Could you download matroxfb.c.gz from
ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxfb.c.gz. Version
which get to Linus was one of the worstest versions I ever produced.
There was
for (i = 0; i < 6; i++)
hw_extcrt[0] = ecrt[i];
setVGAHardware()
extcrt[0] = ecrt[0];

It looked redundant to me, so I removed extcrt[0] = ecrt[0].
But I oversight notice in Matrox manuals that "top of screen is in
registers crt[0x0C], crt[0x0D] and extcrt[0x00]. In PowerGraphics mode,
changes take effect AFTER write to extcrt[0x00]." So driver in Linus tree
sets screen to random position 64KB around right place, sets crt[0x0C] and
crt[0x0D] to right value, but did not activate this. YPan procedure is not
affected by this bug, if you press enter to scroll screen line up it gets
fixed (or shift-pgup/pgdn to scroll back).
There is fixed version in vger for more than 3 weeks, but it did not
reach Linus yet.
Best regards,
Petr Vandrovec
vandrove@vc.cvut.cz