Re: 2.0.36's "make menuconfig" broken on my system

Riley Williams (rhw@bigfoot.com)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:35:42 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Alan.

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

>> On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 01:17:26AM -0500, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

>>> The 2.0.36 release's "make menuconfig" console configuration
>>> program is not displaying properly on my system.

>> I agree with that. I had a hard time to see the selections.

> Which ncurses , what terminal type, what sort of 'not displaying
> properly' ?

My experience has been that "make menuconfig" does NOT work under
X-Windows in an xterm - basically, the main menu gets mangled into a
semi-unreadable state when first loaded, and when a submenu is
selected, it's drawn on top of the main menu without cxlearing the
screen first, then when one goes back to the main menu, that gets
drawn on top of the result...

The above is true under RH 5.0 with kernels 2.0.29 through 2.0.35,
under RH 5.1 with kernel 2.0.35 and under Debian with kernels 2.0.34
and 2.0.35. In the RH cases, DISPLAY was set to xterm and in the
Debian cases, it was set to xterm-debian (in both cases the standard
settings).

I can also add that setting DISPLAY to vt100 or vt220 in both cases
made no difference whatsoever...

I can try 2.0.36 under RH 5.1 this evening if you wish?

Best wishes from Riley.