Re: Linux-asm (was A patch for linux 2.1.127)

Jim Gettys (jg@pa.dec.com)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 11:29:05 -0800

> Sender: owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> From: Steve VanDevender <stevev@efn.org>
> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 23:22:33 -0800 (PST)
> To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: Linux-asm (was A patch for linux 2.1.127)
> -----
> Richard B. Johnson writes:
> > Linux probably started at the DOS prompt (shreak Oh! ---horrors), the
> > primatives necessary to get into 32-bit mode were probably done in
> > MASM (shreak Oh! ---horrors), and the first I/O was probably via
> > RS-232C. When the new O.S. finally became "Unix like", there still was
> > not a 'C' compiler for it. The O.S. had to be quite mature with
> > a file-system and at least somewhat compliant I/O before the GNU
> > Compiler could be ported.
>
> It's funny that you would pretend that you know how Linux was
> brought to life, when we actually have the creator to tell us
> exactly how. And since I know that gcc was available long before
> Linux (I saw people using it in 1988 or so) I begin to doubt your
> account of history is based on any real knowledge of how it got
> done.
>
> But for now I'd rather see Linus finish 2.2 than tell the story
> of the creation of Linux.

Not to mention that there are others of us still around who developed
other major parts of what gets lumped together under the name "Linux"; some
of this code (like the window system you use, and I'm co-author of) date
back to 1983-1984 or so. Some BSD derived code is yet older.

But this is the Linux kernel list; any history on this list should come
from Linus, and be about the development of the base operating system
(and the organization of how all the different parts got put together).

Would be fun to get the principle people of all the different major pieces
that comprise Linux (and immediate forbearers, e.g. UNIX, Multics) into
a room some day and grok how it all got to be this way, though. We all
stand on other's shoulders and on the shoulders of others.

-Jim Gettys