Re: Linux-2.1.129.. not quite 2.2 yet, I hope.

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:04:04 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, David Woodhouse wrote:
> >
> > NFSd is still broken (I sent you patches, broken down for easy
> > digestion. Please let me know if you want me to resend
> > them, or if they are unacceptable please say why.
> >
> > You don't explicitly mention that the 'UP Flu' is fixed. Was
> > that an omission in your mail or in the code?
> >
> > ISDN has important bugs and is, I believe, now older than the
> > ISDN code in 2.0.36. Not only are there numerous bug fixes,
> > but the HiSax driver in CVS now has telco approval (for
> > certain cards), which is an important step forward.
> > It may be best to sync with them before 2.2.
>
> Of the above, only the UP flu is a show-stopper. ISDN and kernel-nfsd are
> easily 2.2.x projects.
>
> And the UP flu is fixed (not in 2.1.129, but elsewhere).
>
> So yes, I'm serious.

Does this also mean that you have ruled out devfs-support in 2.2.x
completely?! Ouch! Running big servers without devfs is a REAL pain in the
arse... Sigh. And if NFS v3 doesn't work properly in 2.2.x, we will
probably miss several high-end server opportunities; without NFS v3, it's
very hard to communicate with AIX-servers, for instance, as those defaults
to believe you have NFS v3.

Just my 0.02 SEK (hmmm, that'd be somewhere around 0.017 FIM, or?!)

/David Weinehall
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </