Re: Linux-2.1.129..

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 11:11:02 +1100

Linus Torvalds writes:

> ..is out there. To a large degree is more merges for PPC and Sparc (and
> somehow I must have missed ARM _again_, so I'll have to find that).
[...]
> Have fun with it, and tell me if it breaks. But it won't. I'm finally
> getting the old "greased weasel" feeling back. In short, this is the much
> awaited perfect and bug-free release, and the only reason I don't call it
> 2.2 is that I'm chicken.

I'm still experiencing a problem, I'm afraid. Just before I left for
work I booted it on my experimental machine (Cyrix 6x86 PR120). Just
before it starts init, I get a NULL pointer dereference in the swapper
tasks. By accident I found that if I set vga=0 then this doesn't
happen. Normally I run with vga=6. This problem does not occur with
2.1.124 (the last kernel I tried on this machine).

Sorry I don't have any kernel logs to give at the moment: this machine
runs completely discless and I rebooted it again to test vga=0, so the
kernel logs vanished. Then I had to leave.

Note also that with 2.1.129-pre5 I was getting a similar problem on my
router (Cyrix 6x86MX PR233). This machine has a fairly recent
motherboard (I got it around 6 months ago). The experimental machine
is about 2 years old.

> Kvaa, kvaa,

OK, translate :-)

Regards,