Re: APM oops in 2.1.127

Stephen.Rothwell@canb.auug.org.au
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 02:22:27 +1100

Hi,

Thomas Molina <tmolina@probe.net> writes:
> System is RedHat 5.2, kernel 2.1.127. This is a new motherboard with
> apm support so I compile it in. The support is recognized based on boot
> up messages. The motherboard is a TMC TIVG+ with an MVP3 (82C598AT)
> chipset. Processor is an AMD K6-2 at 350MHz. I modified the shutdown
> scripts to call halt -p for powerdown after halt. After the "system
> halted" message I get a "Power down." message after which is a general
> protection fault. Since I'm unsure how to set up the system so it
> captures the debugging info after this, I've copied some of it by hand.
> I can do a line-by-line copy if it will help run down a debugging
> process:
>
> General Protection Fault: f000
> EIP 0050: [<00008abb>]
>
> Call trace shows (with hand-correlated symbols from the appropriate
> system map:
>
> c010632d (apm_set_power_state)
> c0106370 (apm_power_off)
> c0107135 (machine_power_off)
> c0112b5b (sys_reboot)
> c01c325a (tvecs)
> c010e6e5 (send_sig_info)
> c010e964 (kill_something_info)
>
> Then I get the following message:
> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00008abb
> current->tss.cr3=0193100 %cr3=0193100 (tty_write?)
>
> then I get an oops 0000
> EIP 0010: [<0108c43>] (show_registers?)
> with most of the same call trace info as before
>
> Suggestions anyone?

You have a broken BIOS! For some reason it is referencing (real mode)
segment f000. It obviously expect to be in real mode (as opposed to
protected mode) when asked to power down. Try talking to your
supplier or either you motherboard, or BIOS.

Cheers,
Stephen

--
Stephen Rothwell                    Stephen.Rothwell@canb.auug.org.au