Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: elevator algorithm bug in ll_rw_blk.c

Alex P. Madarasz, Jr. (madarasz@erols.com)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 06:56:45 -0500

Tim Smith wrote on 18 Nov 98, 0:46 :

> > 2. European definition: An elevator is a set of stairs that move
> > up or down (as set) continuously, with passengers stepping on
> > at one end and off at the other without having to move in
> > between. They are usually installed in pairs, one going each
> > way. I don't know what this is called in the USA.
>
> An escalator. If you manage to get caught on one of the steps when it
> tries to go under the thingy at the top or bottom, this is called
> "ingestion". I find it kind of frightening that there have apparently
> been enough accidents to require escalator people to have a special name
> for people getting sucked into the things!

A term which the folks in the Washington DC Metro system (regional trains /
subway) have had ample cause to us - their escaltors are more famous as people-
eaters than as people-movers!

--
Alex P. Madarasz, Jr.  --  madarasz@erols.com