Re: swapping

David Feuer (feuer@his.com)
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 20:10:58 -0500

Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, David Feuer wrote:
>
> > Are there any advantages to having many small swap partitions laid
> > out at regular intervals along the disk? Would this offer better
> > efficiency? Could a filesystem take into account a file spread
> > across disk like this in an efficient way?
>
> It's probably a pointless exercise in partitioning
> since, as you said it, the filesystem spreads data
> around all of the disk so the heads already have to
> move all over the place...
>
> Rik -- slowly getting used to dvorak kbd layout...
> | Linux memory management tour guide. H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl |
> | Scouting Vries cubscout leader. http://www.phys.uu.nl/~riel/ |

I said this in a confused manner. It's probably a pretty stupid idea,
but might it be possible to have the swap area spread out over the disk
in some RAID X manner, allowing higher-speed, more-convenient swapping?
It seems unlikely, but I was just throwing it in the air....

--

______________________________ / David Feuer \ | dfeuer@binx.mbhs.edu | | feuer@his.com | \ david@feuer.his.com / -----------------------------