Re: 2.1.128 Oops

Jonathan A. Davis (jonathan@evergreen.otr.usm.edu)
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 07:17:11 -0600 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > We've been having continous lockups from 2.0.35-36 to 2.1.9X's to 2.1.128
> > with our SMP machines for the past 6-9 mos on Dual PPRO's, Dual PII 200's
> > and now Dual PII 400s (last 2 Intel boards..) : Symptoms are black
> > screen..lockups occur randomly sometimes a few days 2-3 with no lockup,
> > frequency of lockups increase it appears with increased network
> > traffic..not necessarily high load.
>
> Including 2.0.36 final. You say "past 6-9 months" but obviously thats not
> 2.0.36 final releases

I've been seeing the same problems on a Dell Poweredge 2300. I "solved"
it by going back to a UP kernel. This machine is a dedicated server and
as such has a very short component list:

Two P2 (Deschutes) processors
256MB ECC RAM
Onboard Adaptec AIC-7890/1 Ultra2 SCSI host adapter (single LVD drive)
Onboard Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100

On kernel versions 2.0.35 thru 2.0.36-pre-patch-15 I would experience
random lockups with time-between lockups no longer than 5 days (usually
3-4), I finally decided I'd had enough and compiled both a new kernel
*and* set the system up so the screen blank would not activate.

After rebooting, I discovered I had goofed and compiled a UP kernel. Just
for the helluvit I decided to run on it a bit and see what happened.

It's been over 3 weeks and I haven't rebooted yet. :-)

I'm about to start the process of elimination on hardware components. As
I have both another dual processor and a quad processor system with AIC
controllers that have never (knocks wood) crashed, I'm going to start by
disabling the Dell's onboard EEPro card and installing a tulip-based one
(which is what I use in the other servers).

I emailed Doug (Ledford) some time ago to ask if he had seen any weirdness
in the Poweredge machines as he had done at least part of the AIC 5.1.x
development on a 2300, but never received a response.

Thanks,

-Jonathan < >