Re: Problem with 2.1.128 and GCC (was: Re: scheduler bigpatch for 2.1.128)

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 08:56:48 -0300

Rik van Riel <H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl> said:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Greg Patterson wrote:
>
> > gcc version 2.7.2.3
> > ldd: version 1.9.9
> > /lib/libc.so.5.4.44*
> > mount: mount-2.7l
> >
> > > I am using mount-2.8a with glibc2.0.6 and egcs-1.0.3a.
> >
> > I have egcs installed but I never use it for Linux kernels. Ussually just
> > for user-space tools. I do not have glibc installed at all.
>
> How does the kernel work when compiled wich egcs?

Mine (2.1.129pre1 for now) works fine, and has worked for quite a long time
(february or so); the quirks wrt egcs have been worked out by now. OTOH,
the egcs folks are finally outlawing certain broken uses of asm constraints
in the latest snapshots, broken use that is all over the kernel (mostly
i386, other archs have been cleaned up or the compiler isn't broken for
them) because they _seem_ sensible and allow to bypass the restriction on
10 operands. But note that this does not apply to 2.0.xx! 2.0.xx is known
broken and concisiously _not_ being fixed for egcs as this would introduce
instabilities.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl