Re: Sound still broken but has improved a bit.

Michel Catudal (bbcat@netonecom.net)
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 01:40:24 +0000

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

>> So, you're saying that they should have left a bug in a driver, that
> could affect things further down the line in kernel production, for the sake of
> one application? I'm upset that rvplayer 5.0 isn't working either, and that
> Real hasn't made a fix for it, but I would rather live without that, than to
> have a buggy driver in my kernel. Kudos to those who fixed the bug, and to
> those making sound better in the kernel.

I don't wish to comment any further on RealAudio
As for the network working better. It is rather amusing to
say that considering that PPP has worked like shit for months.
Perhaps it is the PPP program and not the kernel but the end
result is the same either way. It won't work with an old
PPP program that worked well. Even 2.0.34 is broken with
the new PPP program. If the computer has been on for a while
it rarely ever connects on the first try. I get a failed
to connect when there was never any attempt to do it.
With the new kernel it is even worst, it may take 4 or 5
try of the script to succeed if it does. A reboot usually
fixes things. I never had that problem with the previous
PPP program. I think I'll make a special install with this
shitty PPP program just to try the newer kernel and install
a more reliable one for the older kernel.

Have a good day.

--
Tired of Windows' rebootive multitasking?
then try Linux's preemptive multitasking