Kernel hangs after "Now booting the kernel"

Andrew Butler (ajb@zip.co.nz)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:26:44 +1300

I have 2 identical computers, everytime i make a new kernel, and install it
into lilo, the computer locks solid after.. "Uncompressing kernel.... Now
booting the kernel..."

I have compiled over 50 kernels. 2.1.123 to 2.1.128 different
config's/settings/options, still the same problem. The kernels work on
other linux boxes i have here fine...

The 2 computers are Cyrix MediaGX 233MMX with 64meg RAM each.

I have tried no-hlt option witch was sugested to me from IRC still no success.

I have VTs's enabled: (as sugested below in the mailing list information)
# Character devices
#
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=y
>Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to,
>n case you don't already have it:
= 3.1.4.2. = Kernel hangs / no output after "Now booting the kernel ..."
> The kernel is loaded, uncompressed and it hangs after the
message "Now booting the kernel...".
Are you sure you have VTs enabled? They became optional in
2.1.31, and default to being disabled.

Anyone with any similar problems, or workarounds?
Thanks
Andrew