Re: elevator algorithm bug in ll_rw_blk.c

Stefan Monnier (monnier+lists/linux/kernel/news/@tequila.cs.yale.edu)
17 Nov 1998 12:07:10 -0500

> what is the slowest part of linux (hark, i can hear larry limbering up at the
> back of the auditorium) i would be most surprised if it wasn't disk accesses
> - just physically getting the blocks on and off the disk

You haven't explained what you mean by `slowest part', so it's hard to argue.
But I'd argue nonetheless that it's better to spend your time trying to *avoid*
disk accesses than to try to make them a little faster.

And as for manufacturers, they already do a pretty good job. It's customers
who tend to slow things down by going for IDE instead of SCSI.

Stefan