Re: matroxfb, penguins and cursor (was some kernel-digest) [Way

menion (menion@mindless.com)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:25:35 +0000

"Petr Vandrovec Ing. VTEI" wrote:

> Hello Peter, hello hackers, hello everyone,
> .... H. Peter A. on Mon, Nov 16, complained about flashing cursor, penguins ....
> new version of matroxfb is in queue at vger or at Linus... It allows
> you to choose from VGAcon cursor shapes - you can get old blinking
> underline (nonblinking not supported).
> Meanwhile, you can echo "^[[?17;85;0c" to get "softcursor" - attribute
> of character with cursor is ored with 0 and xored with 85 - it is
> magnetha-green cursor on standard black-white text. You can experiment with
> both values... First byte (17) means 0x01 -> disable hardware cursor,
> 0x10 -> enable software cursor. To get back to default, echo "^[[?0;0;0c".
> There are defined other bits (0x20, 0x40), but I do not fully understand,
> what they means. Low four bits specify hardware cursor type - default
> fbcon supports only flashing block, vga (and new matroxfb) supports
> flashing underline, low third inverted, bottom half, bottom two thirds and
> full block inverted. I'll do non-flashing hardware cursor, if there is
> interest (and there is as I see). Unfortunately, every pixel can be either
> passed through, inverted or set to color 0 or color 1. But if you choose
> to use color 0 or color 1, you can end up with invisible cursor (if
> background or foreground is color 0 or color 1). Unfortunately, there is
> (alpha stage) API to set hardware cursor shape, but because of I did not
> found tool to use that API, I did not implement it... But if there is

You just want to be careful of those blinking curser, esp. if you work
out a way to color shift. You could end up sending small children to
the hospital(*) other wise. *evil grin*

js

(*) That incident in Japan when an anime cartoon using these bizarre
color shifting features sent hundreds of children into the hospital with
epileptic like seizures. *oops*