Re: new processes very slow on otherwise responsive system (2.1.

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 07:11:57 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Jim Bauer wrote:
>
> > I tried several different things to track down this problem.
> > My results are posted below.
> >
> > This is with 2.1.127 non-SMP compiled with gcc 2.7.2.3
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
> Maybe this is the thing the promlematic systems have in
> common, or the fact that they're running libc5 (although
> I don't know what that could have to do with it)...
>
> I know my standard egcs/glibc has not seen any problems
> like this (and that egcs/glibc is a bit of a standard)
> and that a lot of people haven't been able to generate
> the error themselves.

egcs-1.1b was unable to produce an operational 2.1.127 for me. It panics
when mounting the root filesystem. I had to revert back to older
gcc-2.7.2.3 in order to have an operational kernel.

This was the _first_ time I've had an incompatibility with any version of
egcs in over a year.

Steve