Re: 2.1.x networking behavior - why?

Simon Kirby (sim@netnation.com)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:40:14 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Jeff Noxon wrote:

> I recently upgraded my main machine to 2.1.x. This machine serves as a
> router w/3 ppp interfaces, 2 ethernet interfaces. The new 2.1.x behavior
> bothers me:
>
> - Why aren't alias devices listed when I type "ifconfig" ?

Upgrade net-tools.

> - Why aren't "automatic" device routes listed in the routing table?

They should be, even with old net-tools.

> I appear to have the latest versions of the user-space tools (Debian
> 2.1)...
>
> net-tools 1.45
> ifconfig 1.33 (1998-03-02)
>
> net-tools 1.45
> route 1.94 (1997-09-21)
> +NEW_ADDRT +RTF_IRTT +RTF_REJECT -NLS
> AF:(inet) +UNIX +INET -INET6 +IPX +AX25 +NETROM +ATALK
> HW: +ETHER +ARC +SLIP +PPP +TUNNEL +TR +AX25 +NETROM +FR

1.47 is out. :)

> This behavior is annoying, because it's easy to completely screw up
> the machine's routing and not know why -- the alias devices are hidden
> unless you know they're there.
>
> I don't see the benefit in hiding routes or interfaces from the admin.
> Is there a technical reason to do so? I assume these routes must be
> handled differently internally.

The interface was just changed so that /proc/net/dev actually reports
devices and not virtual interfaces. The new "ifconfig" gets them a
different way.

Simon-

| Simon Kirby | Systems Administration |
| mailto:sim@netnation.com | NetNation Communications |
| http://www.netnation.com/ | Tech: (604) 684-6892 |