Re: elevator algorithm bug in ll_rw_blk.c

Feuer (feuer@his.com)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:00:07 -0500

Alan Cox wrote:

> > have disk drivers optimized both for disk geometry and usage, instead of trying to
> > work their way around black boxes of hardware optimization.  Possibly another option
> > would be a disk/controller which could be switched (DIP switches, etc.) between
> > hardware optimized for DOS, and unoptimized for Linux.
>
> Forget it
>
> The paramters for describing a modern disk drive are sufficiently complex
> you don't want to be using them. Its variable number of sectors/cylinder
> variable bit rate, variable anything else apart from size :)
>
> Alan

You've convinced me.  Might there be _some_ things which could be software-ized to improve
speed?  e.g. some things about how stuff is arranged on disk?  Perhaps standardized
layouts?  Maybe even a least-squares regression analysis for building the kernel, mke2fs,
etc. :)