Re: VC_UNICODE and keyboard input (fwd)

Yann Dirson (ydirson@mygale.org)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:02:51 +0100 (CET)

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk writes:
> Hey, I'm sure you will know how it is designed and how should be. You may
> talk with them if you like.

Thanks for forwarding !

> The problem: keyboard and console are in Unicode mode, using
>
> echo -ne '\e%G' ; kbd_mode -u
>
> Now the german umlauts (with codes >= 0x80) don't appear anymore. The reason
> is that while the console now expects UCS2, the keyboard still emits
> single-byte Latin-1 codes, which are invalid in UCS2, so nothing is displayed.

IIRC, I have listed this (in my TODO file for console-tools) in the
evolutions that should be done one day on the kernel. I believe your
fix does the right job for fixing this little problem.

> I realize that if the translation tables contain values < 0xf000, they are
> sent using the UCS2 encoding (always...), even though I haven't found out how
> to set them so with loadkeys.
> (This is on an i586 PC with german keyboard layout loaded)

Did you infer that from the code ? It's been some time I didn't
browse it really (2.0.x). Something I remember in these versions is
that we cannot hope to enter keycodes > 0xf000 because of a trupidly
bad design in the keyboard driver, that IIRC is not trivial to fix :(

> I don't want to send a patch because the ``bug'' is so obvious (to me ;-) that
> the current behaviour could actually be the correct one.
>
> Any opinions?

I'd say: try to get in that before 2.2 is out !

--
Yann Dirson                         | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
               <ydirson@mygale.org> |     support Debian GNU/Linux: