Re: Sound still broken but has improved a bit.

Michel Catudal (bbcat@netonecom.net)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:39:33 +0000

Alan Cox wrote:

> Well if you read the list you'd know the bug is in realaudio so the kernel
> wont be getting fixed.
>
> Also you'd know that you can binary fix realaudio this way
>

> >> I must say that the only drawback that I have with 2.1.123 and some
> >> recent versions is the rvplayer. Is using 2.1.119 the only solution
> >> to run realplayer or is there any patch available?
>
> Rvplayer distributed with latest netscape (RealPlayer, Version 5.0.0.35) can
> be made to work with the latest kernels simply by using the following stupid
> commandline (back up old executable before trying this!):
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=rvplayer bs=1 count=1 seek=657586 conv=notrunc

My version of rvplayer is rvplayer-5.0-3 and there was
no RealPlayer with the version of netscape I have. I
got the us version of Netscape with 128 bits encription (libc5 version).
I got RealAudio directly from RealAudio's site in a RPM
form, libc6 version.

> This "fix" removes O_NONBLOCK from the open() call flags used to open audio
> device. There is one drawback --- rvplayer does not work well when /dev/dsp
> is already in use by other programs.

I think applying this binary fix would crash something.

Real Audio does work good now until there is a net congestion.
I don't understand the reasoning in changing the sound, bug
or not until a new version of RealAudio comes. What it is
going to do is piss off a lot of potential Linux users.
We can't dictate to RealAudio, we're not their bread and
butter, winblows is.

--
Tired of Windows' rebootive multitasking?
then try Linux's preemptive multitasking