Re: the SoundBlaster module (sb.o) problem

Matthias Andree (mandree@sx1.HRZ.Uni-Dortmund.DE)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:16:18 +0100

On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 06:18:33PM -0500, Shaya Potter wrote:
> On a side note, would there be any reason why my .config from the cvs kernel
> would be incompatable with the linus-release kernels (i.e. .128). I just
> couldn't move the .config over from my cvs tree to the .128 tree, because
> the compile would break, but if I ran a make oldconfig on it, w/o changing
> anything, it proceded just fine?

It probably is not incompatible, but make oldconfig does check
dependent settings - you cannot compile parallel printer support (lp?
stuff) into the kernel if the parallel port (parport?) support is built
as a module - to name one example. oldconfig checks & resolves these
configuration issues.

--
Matthias Andree