Re: Username "root" unique?

Tim Smith (tzs@tzs.net)
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 14:05:41 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 jens@pinguin.conetix.de wrote:
> how would a Linux system react if I changed "root" to something else
> (preferably "bofh" :), but kept the UID/GID the same?
>
> I.e. do all the tools and right mechanisms rely on UID/GID or on the
> /etc/passwd|shadow user NAME?

There's no reason you can't keep "root" and add an account named "bofh"
that also has uid 0 and gid 0. Those silly berkeley people often do this
so that they can have a second root account that uses a real shell instead
of csh, for those occasionaly moments when they become lucid and realize
that csh is the work of the devil.

--Tim Smith