Re: e2fsck...

Sun, 15 Nov 1998 10:59:01 -0500 (EST)

On 15 Nov 1998, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article <cistron.Pine.LNX.3.95.981113113553.338A-100000@chaos.analogic.com>,
> Richard B. Johnson <root@chaos.analogic.com> wrote:
> >
> >Alas yes. I wish you would try this stuff before you argue.
>
> It depends on whether you are talking about 2.0.x or 2.1.x
>
> Mike.
> --

With init=/bin/bash, you can mount proc over the r/o file-system
using the '-n' option. You will see that init is PID 1. The kernel
pseudo processes have higher PIDs.

When you `exec`, the current task is overwritten with the new code.
No fork occurs. The PID remains the same. Try it, you'll like it.
This allows you to perform fs maintenance with bash as init, then
exec /sbin/init. The SYSV startup occurs with the correct init PID of 1

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.127 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).